[R] strange timings in convolve(x,y,type="open")

Art Owen owen at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 19 01:58:08 CET 2007

Dear R-ophiles,

I've found something very odd when I apply convolve
to ever larger vectors.  Here is an example below
with vectors ranging from 2^11 to 2^17.   There is
a funny bump up at 2^12.  Then it gets very slow at 2^16.

 >  for( i in 11:20 )print( system.time(convolve(1:2^i,1:2^i,type="o")))
   user  system elapsed
  0.002   0.000   0.002
   user  system elapsed
  0.373   0.002   0.375
   user  system elapsed
  0.014   0.001   0.016
   user  system elapsed
  0.031   0.002   0.034
   user  system elapsed
  0.126   0.004   0.130
   user  system elapsed
194.095   0.013 194.185
   user  system elapsed
  0.345   0.011   0.356

This example is run on a fedora machine with 64 bits.  I hit the same
wall at 2^16 on a Macbook (Intel processor I think).  The fedora machine
is running R 2.5.0.  That's a bit old (April 07) but I saw no mention of
this speed
problem in some web searching, and it's not mentioned in the 2.6
what's new notes.

I've rerun it and found the same bump at 12 and wall at 16.
The timing at 2^16  can change appreciably.  In one
other case it was about 270 user, 271 elapsed.
The 2^18 case ran for hours without ever finishing.

At first I thought that this was a memory latency issue.  Maybe it
is.  But that makes it hard to explain why 2^17 works better than
2^16.  I've seen that three times now, so I'm almost ready to call it
reproducible.
Also, one of the machines I'm using has lots of memory.  Maybe it's
a cache issue ... but that still does not explain why 2^12 is slower
than 2^13 or 2^16 is slower than 2^17.

I've checked by running convolve without type="o" and I don't
see the wall.  Similarly fft does not have that problem.

Here's an example without type="open"
 > for( k in 11:20)print(system.time( convolve( 1:2^k,1:2^k)))
   user  system elapsed
  0.001   0.000   0.000
   user  system elapsed
  0.001   0.000   0.001
   user  system elapsed
  0.002   0.000   0.002
   user  system elapsed
  0.004   0.000   0.004
   user  system elapsed
  0.009   0.001   0.010
   user  system elapsed
  0.017   0.001   0.018
   user  system elapsed
  0.138   0.005   0.143
   user  system elapsed
  0.368   0.012   0.389
   user  system elapsed
  1.010   0.032   1.051
   user  system elapsed
  1.945   0.069   2.015

This is more what I expected.  Something like N or N log(N) , with
the difference hard to discern in granularity and noise.

The convolve function is not very big (see below).  When type is
not specified, it defaults to "circular".  So my guess is that something
mysterious might be happening inside the first else clause below,
at least on some architectures.

-Art Owen

 > convolve
function (x, y, conj = TRUE, type = c("circular", "open", "filter"))
{
    type <- match.arg(type)
    n <- length(x)
    ny <- length(y)
    Real <- is.numeric(x) && is.numeric(y)
    if (type == "circular") {
        if (ny != n)
            stop("length mismatch in convolution")
    }
    else {
        n1 <- ny - 1
        x <- c(rep.int(0, n1), x)
        n <- length(y <- c(y, rep.int(0, n - 1)))
    }
    x <- fft(fft(x) * (if (conj)
        Conj(fft(y))
    else fft(y)), inv = TRUE)