[R] connecting [logging] RMySQL to an external server - SOLVED

Adrian Dusa dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:51:47 CET 2007

Hi James,

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, David James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry I'm also coming late to this discussion, but  like Dirk, I
> fail to understand what's wrong with using dbConnect() the way
> the documentation, (see ?MySQL) suggests.
>
> RMySQL was developed in a fully distributed client/server
> environment, and it uses the MySQL-provided client API.  The
> options that the MySQL client library allows (user, password, host,
> port or socket file, compression, etc.) should work from RMySQL
> (RMySQL just passes those directly to the MySQL client library).
> If you have a specific (e.g., security-related) need that the MySQL client
> API does not address, then the use of ssh may be the proper way
> to go.  But for simple, vanilla style of client-server communications
> the underlying MySQL client should be sufficient.

Normally yes, you are right, but this particular MySQL server does not allow
remote connections (it does not directly listens to port 3306) but only local
connections using a socket (this terminology is unfamiliar to me, I may talk
stupid).
So I have to first create a secure login and only after that connect to the
remote MySQL server.

I hope my situation is more clear now,
Adrian

--