[R] Can't install RSPERL under windows

adiamond adiamond at csidentity.com
Thu Dec 20 21:16:55 CET 2007

I know that I'm a fool for trying to get this working under windows but I'm
obliged.  Note I have R 2.6.1 and the latest cygwin.  I'm running winxp sp2.

1) If I issue: R CMD INSTALL  RSPerl_0.92-1.tar.gz, it fails as such

---------- Making package RSPerl ------------

   WARNING: this package has a configure script
         It probably needs manual configuration

  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
  making DLL ...
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `version'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [pkg-RSPerl] Error 2
*** Installation of RSPerl failed ***

2) If I try using the with-in-perl arg install complains that
--configure-args is not a valid arg.  My understanding is that it isn't
valid in windows R but I don't know what to do about it.

R CMD INSTALL  --configure-args='--with-in-perl' RSPerl_0.92-1.tar.gz
--configure-args='--with-in-perl' RSPerl_0.92-1.tar.gz
Unknown option: configure-args
Usage: R CMD INSTALL [options] pkgs