[R] R Compilation error on Ubuntu

Satoshi Takahama brown_emu at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 10:35:19 CET 2007

Hi Taka,

I was just trying to do this yesterday and ran into the same problem (compiling R 2.6.1 on Gutsy Gibbon). Apparently this happens on Debian/Ubuntu distributions because the developer install is separate from the user install.

Basically, to address the configure error:

"--with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not available"

you need the development version of readline:
  sudo apt-get install libreadline5-dev
(see http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html)

Later, I ran into another configure error:
"--with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available"
so I installed xorg-dev:
  sudo apt-get install xorg-dev
(see http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/11/5193.html)

At the end, I also got a configure WARNING:
"you cannot build info or HTML versions of the R manuals "
so then I installed texinfo:
  sudo apt-get install texinfo
(see http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/04/15498.html)

Hope this helps,