[R] Can you recover default argument values of a function?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 23:21:46 CET 2007

If the default value is a constant such as in

f <- function(x = 1) x

then formals(f)[[1]] will give it to you but it could be an expression
referring to other variables (other arguments, other variables in
the function, free variables) such as

f <- function(x = u, u) x

or

f <- function(x = u+v+w, u) { v <- u+1; x }

in which case you would get an object of class
"name" in the first case or "call" in the second.