[R] Conditionally incrementing a loop counter: Take 2

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Dec 27 23:35:58 CET 2007

Mike Jones wrote:
> My apologies for not including a working example.
>
> Here it is:
>
> for (i in 1:10){
>    cat("initial i = ",i,"\n")
>    x <- runif(1)
>    if (x > 0.7){
>       i <- i-1
>    }
>    cat("second i = ",i,"\n")
> }
>
> When I ran this i got what follows, so there were four cases where I
> wanted the i not to increment.
>
> initial i =  1
> second i =  1
> initial i =  2
> second i =  1
> initial i =  3
> second i =  3
> initial i =  4
> second i =  3
> initial i =  5
> second i =  4
> initial i =  6
> second i =  6
> initial i =  7
> second i =  7
> initial i =  8
> second i =  7
> initial i =  9
> second i =  9
> initial i =  10
> second i =  10

Is this the kind of effect you want?

 > x <- runif(10)
 > cbind(x, 1:10, cumsum(x < .7))
 [1,] 0.384165631  1 1
 [2,] 0.392715845  2 2
 [3,] 0.895936431  3 2
 [4,] 0.910242185  4 2
 [5,] 0.689987301  5 3
 [6,] 0.237071326  6 4
 [7,] 0.225032680  7 5
 [8,] 0.001856286  8 6
 [9,] 0.392034868  9 7
[10,] 0.655076045 10 8

If you insist on using a loop, you need to separate the loop control
from the manipulation of i, as in (e.g.)

i <- 0
for (j in 1:10){
   i <- i + 1
   cat("initial i = ",i,"\n")