[R] Efficiency of for-loop in R

Tong Wang wangtong at usc.edu
Fri Dec 28 02:39:56 CET 2007

HI,
   The question is meant to be a general one, I am trying to find out if there is new development in R that I might have missed.

but here's a trivial example,

To compute  y=sin(x) , x = 1,2,... 100000
 x=1:100000,
1.  y =sin(x)
2.  for(i in 1:100000) y=sin(x[i])

1 is much faster than 2.
Old Matlab also had this problem, but in new versions, 1 and 2 are mostly the same.
I am just wondering if the same improvement has happened or will happen to R.

Thanks .