[R] warning on gamma option in par(args) or calling par(= new)?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 28 09:09:37 CET 2007

You are calling par() *before* opening  and (in on.exit) *after* closing
the pdf() device.  par() applies on a per-device basis, and if no device
is open the default device will be opened.

As for why you get the warnings about 'gamma' and 'new', see ?par and read
their entries.  Since you don't change any pars, I do not see why you are
attempting to reset them.