[R] adding a function after package.skeleton()

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Dec 30 19:19:40 CET 2007

Dear R helpers,

I've successfully created a package 'constants' using package.skeleton
() with one dataframe and a few functions. However, now that I want
to add some functions and data to the package, I run into a problem.

I ran prompt(...) and moved + edited the resulting .Rd files as
appropriate (I believe). The log file from RCMD check constants does
indicate a few problems (full log below).

As far as I understand, the real problem would be on the lines:

> * checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
> L2eV: no visible binding for global variable 'Constants'
> eV2L: no visible binding for global variable 'Constants'

These two functions use the dataframe "Constants", part of this package:

> `L2eV` <- function(lambda)
> {
> 	data("Constants")
> 	Constants$h*Constants$cel/Constants$ee/lambda ->eV
> 	eV
> 	}

and

> `eV2L` <- function(eV)
> {
> 	data("Constants")
> 	Constants$h*Constants$cel/Constants$ee/eV ->Lambda
> 	Lambda
> 	}

After searching the R archives about "no visible binding for global
variable ", I added the quotes around "Constants" but it doesn't seem
to help. What would be the correct way to use this data inside the
package?

Best regards,

baptiste

----------------
Log of R CMD check constants :

> baptiste-auguies-ibook-g4:~ baptiste$ R CMD check constants
> * checking for working latex ... OK
> * using log directory '/Users/baptiste/constants.Rcheck'
> * using R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
> * checking for file 'constants/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * checking extension type ... Package
> * this is package 'constants' version '1.0'
> * checking package dependencies ... OK
> * checking if this is a source package ... OK
> * checking whether package 'constants' can be installed ... OK
> * checking package directory ... OK
> * checking for portable file names ... OK
> * checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * checking top-level files ... OK
> * checking index information ... OK
> * checking package subdirectories ... OK
> * checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
> * checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
> * checking whether the package can be loaded ... OK
> * checking whether the package can be loaded with stated
> dependencies ... OK
> * checking for unstated dependencies in R code ... OK
> * checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK
> * checking replacement functions ... OK
> * checking foreign function calls ... OK
> * checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
> L2eV: no visible binding for global variable 'Constants'
> eV2L: no visible binding for global variable 'Constants'
> * checking Rd files ... WARNING
> Rd files with non-standard keywords:
>   L2eV.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   constants-package.Rd: physical constants optical
>   delete.all.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   eV2L.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   epsilon2nk.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   fano.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   lorentz.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
>   nk2epsilon.Rd: kwd1 kwd2
> Each '\keyword' entry should specify one of the standard keywords (as
> listed in file 'KEYWORDS' in the R documentation directory).
>
> See the chapter 'Writing R documentation files' in manual 'Writing R
> Extensions'.
> * checking Rd cross-references ... OK
> * checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
> * checking for code/documentation mismatches ... OK
> * checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
> * checking data for non-ASCII characters ... OK
> * creating constants-Ex.R ... OK
> * checking examples ... OK
> * creating constants-manual.tex ... OK
> * checking constants-manual.tex ... OK
>
> WARNING: There was 1 warning, see
>   /Users/baptiste/constants.Rcheck/00check.log
> for details

Baptiste Auguié

Physics Department
University of Exeter