[R] plot multiple data sets on same axis

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 23:54:59 CET 2007

Here is one way of doing it by splitting the data and plotting each
set in a different color:

# generate some test data
mydf <- data.frame(x=runif(200), y=rnorm(200),
dataset=sample(LETTERS[1:4], 200, TRUE))
# setup the plot are for the maximum of the data
plot(0, xlim=range(mydf$x), ylim=range(mydf$y), type='n', ylab="Y", xlab="X")
# split by 'dataset' and then plot each series; sort by 'x' first
mydf[] <- mydf[order(mydf$x),]
split.df <- split(mydf, mydf$dataset)
# loop through each set and plot with a different color
for (i in seq_along(split.df)){
    lines(split.df[[i]]$x, split.df[[i]]$y, col=i)
}