[R] possible spam alert

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Feb 1 00:24:59 CET 2007

Kimpel, Mark William wrote:
> The last two times I have originated message threads on R or
> Bioconductor I have received the message included below from someone
> named Patrick Connolly. Both times I was the originator of the message
> thread and used what I thought was a unique subject line that explained
> as best I could what my question was. Patrick seems to be implying that
> I am abusing the R and BioC help newsgroups in this fashion.
>
> When I emailed him to give me a specific example, he did not reply. The
> most recent thread that he seems concerned about was to the R list and
> was entitled "regexpr and parsing question" . I believe the previous
> post of mine that he had problems with was to the BioC list but I can't
> remember its subject.
>
> Is this spam?

No. Breach of netiquette, yes.

The message in question starts a new thread, yet contains an
writing the message as a reply to something completely unrelated,
specifically: "Re: [R] change plotting symbol for groups in trellis
graph". You should not do that, unless you know how to remove the
In-Reply-To line (and this is not obvious in many mail clients);
changing the subject is not sufficient.