[R] Outlook does threading

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Thu Feb 1 01:25:27 CET 2007

See below for Bert Gunter's off list reply to me (which I do
appreciate). I'm putting it back on the list because it seems there is
still confusion regarding the difference between threading and sorting
by subject. I thought the example I will give below will serve as
instructional for other Outlook users who may be similarly confused as I
was (am?).

Per Bert's instructions, I just set up my inbox to sort by subject. I
sent one email to myself with the subject "test1" and then replied to it
without changing the subject. The reply correctly went to "test1" in the
inbox sorter. I then changed the subject heading in the test1 reply to
"test2" and sent it to myself. This time Outlook re-categorized it and
put it in a separate compartment in the view called "test2".

If Outlook can do threading the way the R mail server does, I don't
think this is the way to do it.

Unless someone has an idea of how to correctly set up Outlook to do
threading in the manner that the R mail server does, I think the message
for us Outlook users is to just create, from scratch, a new message when
initiating a new subject.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark