[R] features of save and save.image (unexpected file sizes)

Vaidotas Zemlys mpiktas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:43:54 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/31/07, Professor Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Two comments:
>
> 1) ls() does not list all the objects: it has all.names argument.

Yes, I tried it with all.names, but the effect was the same, I forgot
to mention it in a letter.

> 2) save.image() does not just save the objects in the workspace, it also
> saves any environments they may have.  Having a function with a
> large environment is the usual cause of a large saved image.

I have little experience dealing with environments, so is there a
quick way to discard the environments of the functions? When saving
the session I really do not need them.

> (And finally, a compressed binary representation from save.image is
> nor comparable sizewise with an ASCII version from dump.)

I know, but thus I found out that I am saving something besides my large object.

Thanks very much for your answer!

Vaidotas Zemlys
--
Doctorate student, http://www.mif.vu.lt/katedros/eka/katedra/zemlys.php