[R] Affymetrix data analysis

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 12:37:07 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Sicotte, Hugues   Ph.D. wrote:

> Of course, you would know best, so can you tell us if the help pages I
> pull using
>
> help(Memory)
>
> is wrong?
> That help page says (2nd paragraph)
>
> "(On Windows the --max-mem-size option sets the maximum memory
> allocation: it has a minimum allowed value of 16M. This is intended to
> catch attempts to allocate excessive amounts of memory which may cause
> other processes to run out of resources. The default is the smaller of
> the amount of physical RAM in the machine and 1024Mb. See also
> memory.limit.) "

It says nothing about 'half' does it?

Depending on your version of R and Windows, the default is 1Gb, 1.5Gb or
2.5Gb, and the rw-FAQ gives the whole truth. The current version of that
help page is different:

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/base/man/Memory.Rd

it looks like in 2.4.1 it had not been updated yet.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk