[R] rgl.snapshot "failed"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Feb 5 15:33:58 CET 2007

On 2/5/2007 8:48 AM, laszlo kajan wrote:
> Dear Roger Koenker,
>
> I have had just the same problem (rgl.snapshot returns "failed") on my
> Fedora Core 6 system.
>
> It took me quite a while to figure out the solution, so I would like to
> post it here to make others' lives easier.
>
> My configuration:
>
> Linux zachariasz.dns6.org 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 #1 SMP Wed Dec 20 14:51:19
> EST 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Fedora Core 6
>
> R version 2.4.0 Patched (2006-11-03 r39789)
>
> Package:              rgl
> Version:              0.70
> Date:                 2007-01-06
>
> What I had to do:
>
> Download the rgl package, install libX11, libX11-devel, libXt,
> libXt-devel, and then run:
>
> --------------------------
> R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--x-includes=/usr/include/X11
>   --x-libraries=/usr/lib' path_to_rgl_0.70.tar.gz
> --------------------------
>
> The problem is that the ./configure script in the rgl_0.70 package does
> not seem to be able to locate the relevant X include and library paths.
> These have to be given explicitely, as shown.
>
> Hope this will help some in a similar situation.

The configure script in rgl 0.70 uses some very old autoconf material.
The next release will replace it with newer versions.  Not sure when
that will happen...

If you'd like to test the new script you can get a copy from

http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/temp/rgl_0.70.552.tar.gz

I don't see the error you solved, so it's hard for me to know if this
version fixes it, but I would hope you could leave out the extra install
args, and just use the regular

R CMD INSTALL path_to/rgl_0.70.552.tar.gz

on a wider variety of systems.

Duncan Murdoch