[R] R in Industry

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 7 14:50:11 CET 2007

    Frank> Matthew Keller wrote:
    >> Bob,
    >>
    >> Far from flaming you, I think you made a good point - one
    >> that I imagine most people who use R have come
    >> across. The name "R" is a big impediment to effective
    >> online searches. As a check, I entered "R software", "SAS
    >> software", SPSS software", and "S+ software" into
    >> google. The R 'hit rate' was only ten out of the first 20
    >> results (I didn't look any further). For the other three
    >> software packages, the hit rates were all 100% (20/20).
    >>
    >> I do wonder if anything can/should be done about this. I
    >> generally search using the term "CRAN" but of course,
    >> that omits lots of stuff relevant to R. Any ideas about
    >> how to do effective online searches for "R" related
    >> materials?

I don't think we (the R foundation) will ever change away from
"R"..

    >> Matt

    Frank> I just googled for "R" and www.r-project.org was the
    Frank> first hit.  Don't see a problem at present.

We are getting really off-topic, but that's interesting:

We all know that Google is helping the Chinese government to
censor their own people, so searches there can lead to
completely different results.  But even here in Zurich
Switzerland, I get quite a different hitlist :

 1) stat.ethz.ch/~statsoft/stat.programme/R.html [in German]

 2) Our local CRAN mirror:  stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/

 3) R - (German-language) Wikipedia about letter "R": de.wikipedia.org/wiki/R

 4) DVD-R - (German-language) Wikipedia  de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R

 5) The R Project for Statistical Computing http://www.r-project.org/

So 3/5 are related to R which sounds good, but actually these 3
are all from the first twenty: 3/20.

Martin