[R] Attachments to R-help postings (Re: Singular Gradient)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 8 09:39:30 CET 2007

    DB> On 2/7/07, This Wiederkehr <this.wiederkehr at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I tried to fit data with the following function:
    >>
    >> fit<-nls(y~ Is*(1-exp(-l*x))+Iph,start=list(Is=-2e-5,l=2.3,Iph=-0.3
    >> ),control=list(maxiter=500,minFactor=1/10000,tol=10e-05),trace=TRUE)
    >> But I get only a singular Gradient warning...

    DB> Did you get any trace output at all?  It is not clear if you got the
    DB> singular gradient warning before the first iteration completed, which
    DB> means there is a problem at the starting estimates, or after a few
    DB> iterations.  Without the data it is difficult to decide.

    >> the data can by found attached(there are two sampels of data col 1/2 and
    >> 3/4).

    DB> Thanks for offering to include the data.  My copy of your message did
    DB> not have the data enclosed.  Did you perhaps forget to attach the
    DB> file?

More probably he did not attach them with mime type "text/plain".
Many e-mail clients nowadays attach everything and notably text
as unspecified binary ("application/octet-stream").
For security (and anti-spam) reasons, such attachments are
eliminated from postings.

I've now slightly modified this content-filtering option for
R-help, such that (I think) such e-mails will be *rejected* instead
of just the attachment removed -- I'm just trying that now,
attaching a 2 line text file