[R] circle fill problem

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 10:49:30 CET 2007

Hello Ingmar

In Kepler's sphere packing problem the
spheres are not allowed to overlap, which
would suggest to me that different tactics should
perhaps be used.

Mini's problem is formally a "cover problem", and
the sphere packing problem is a "packing problem".
The two are related, but tend not to have direct
relevance to one another.

Also be aware that Kepler's conjecture refers to the
packing fraction limit as  the space available tends to
infinity.

My understanding is that Kepler's conjecture has now been
proved beyond all reasonable doubt, but how to use this in
Mini's problem is not clear to me.

rksh