[R] step in a model with strata

Pietro Bulian pbulian at cro.it
Thu Feb 8 10:47:02 CET 2007

Dear experts,
when I call the step function for a coxph model with n covariates and a
dicotomous variable included as strata, the first term removed by step is
always the strata variable. This is not what I want and then I do a manual
step updating the model minus the least significant covariate and testing
with anova, until I have minimized the model. Is there a package were this
can be done? or am I doing something wrong ? (I'm not a statistician).

Thanks for hints

Pietro Bulian

Clinical and Experimental Hematology Research Unit
Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, I.R.C.C.S.
Via Pedemontana, 12
I-33081 Aviano (PN) - Italy

phone: +39 0434 659 412
fax: +39 0434 659 409