[R] R in Industry

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Thu Feb 8 17:23:35 CET 2007

 From what I know Matlab is much more popular in
fixed income than R, but R is vastly more popular in
equities.  R seems to be making quite a lot of headway
in finance, even in fixed income to some degree.

At least to some extent, this is probably logical behavior --
fixed income is more mathematical, and equities is more
statistical.

Matlab is easier to learn mainly because it has much simpler
data structures.  However, once you are doing something
where a complex data structure is natural, then R is going to
be easier to use and you are likely to have a more complete
implementation of what you want.

If speed becomes a limiting factor, then moving the heavy
computing to C is a natural thing to do, and very easy with R.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com