[R] R in Industry

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 8 19:47:23 CET 2007

On 2/8/2007 12:48 PM, Ben Fairbank wrote:
> To those following this thRead:
>
> There was a thread on this topic a year or so ago on this list, in which
> contributors mentioned reasons that corporate powers-that-be were
> reluctant to commit to R as a corporate statistical platform.  (My
> favorite was "There is no one to sue if something goes wrong.")
>
> One reason that I do not think was discussed then, nor have I seen
> discussed since, is the issue of the continuity of support.  If one
> person has contributed disproportionately heavily to the development and
> maintenance of a package, and then retires or follows other interests,
> and the package needs maintenance (perhaps as a consequence of new
> operating systems or a new version of R), is there any assurance that it
> will be available?  With a commercial package such as, say, SPSS, the
> corporate memory and continuance makes such continued maintenance
> likely, but is there such a commitment with R packages?  If my company
> came to depend heavily on a fairly obscure R package (as we are
> contemplating doing), what guarantee is there that it will be available
> next month/year/decade?  I know of none, nor would I expect one.

There's no guarantee of support, but the majority of R packages are
licensed under the GPL, so there is a guarantee of availability of the
source code, which means that contracting with someone expert in the
field to provide you with support will be a possibility.  If it's an
obscure package as you say, your company may represent a majority of
users, and it may well be that the expert you need is already someone in
your company, who contributed patches to the package while the original
maintainer was still active.

If a commercial vendor were to withdraw support for a package there is
really no hope of putting together your own support service.  You would
have to live with the bugs and without updates, or start from scratch to
replace it yourself.  For example, this happened to me about 10 years
ago when Intel withdrew support for 3DR.  As it happens OpenGL is a
better replacement, but I wasn't too happy at the time.

Duncan Murdoch