[R] Help with interfacing C & R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Feb 8 23:40:43 CET 2007

Oleg Sklyar <osklyar at ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> On Windows you need:
>   - download and install Cygwin (cygwin.com) with default options,
>     supposedly you install into c:\cygwin. Add path to
>     c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\lib to your system PATH
>   - download and unpack Rtools
>     (http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/tools.zip)
>     Assuming you have them in C:\Rtools, add c:\RTools\bin
>     to your PATH _in front of_ cygwin
>   - download and install MinGW, you will want to get MinGW-5.1.3.exe,
>     which will download and install the rest. You will want to select
>     at least gcc and make. Add the path to c:\MinGW\bin to your system
>     PATH, right in front of Rtools
>     (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/)
>   - download and install ActivePerl from (activestate.com), ensure path
>     is added to your PATH

Er, why Cygwin? I don't think that is actually needed for anything
(you may want it for other reasons of course).

Also, this passage in the original post made me suspect that perhaps
the poster didn't know of the Command Prompt ("DOS box") in Windows
and tried typing shell level commands to R itself.