[R] R in Industry

Jeremy Miles jeremy.miles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:15:07 CET 2007

I was under the impression that most software has a licence agreement
that does not allow you to sue them.  If Windows crashes at a crucial
moment, and loses me millions of dollars [I can't imagine that
happening to me, but it might happen to someone], I don't think I can
sue microsoft.

A few years ago, there was a recalculation bug in Excel.  This caused
a lot of people's financial planning to get messed up (I heard, and
ironically, including SPSS Inc).

There's also the issue of being abandoned - as users of BMDP were,
when SPSS bought them.

Jeremy

On 08/02/07, Ben Fairbank <BEN at ssanet.com> wrote:
> To those following this thRead:
>
> There was a thread on this topic a year or so ago on this list, in which
> contributors mentioned reasons that corporate powers-that-be were
> reluctant to commit to R as a corporate statistical platform.  (My
> favorite was "There is no one to sue if something goes wrong.")

[snip]

--

Jeremy Miles
www.jeremymiles.co.uk