[R] R in Industry

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Feb 12 13:03:50 CET 2007

On 2/12/2007 2:50 AM, Patrick Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 07-Feb-2007 at 07:07PM +1100, Jim Lemon wrote:
>
> |> Matthew Keller wrote:
> |>  > Far from flaming you, I think you made a good point - one that I
> |>  > imagine most people who use R have come across. The name "R" is a big
> |>  > impediment to effective online searches. As a check, I entered "R
> |>  > software", "SAS software", SPSS software", and "S+ software" into
> |>  > google. The R 'hit rate' was only ten out of the first 20 results (I
> |>  > didn't look any further). For the other three software packages, the
> |>  > hit rates were all 100% (20/20).
> |>  >
> |>  > I do wonder if anything can/should be done about this. I generally
> |>  > search using the term "CRAN" but of course, that omits lots of stuff
> |>  > relevant to R. Any ideas about how to do effective online searches for
> |>  > "R" related materials?
> |>  >
> |> Try "r stats". I get 18/20 on Google with that.
>
> Not bad, but the original question was about R related employment.
> Trying "R jobs" or "R employment" comes up with Hungarian girls
> looking for a job in Cork (I think the letter 'r' in 'Cork' that had
> that one show up) and somewhat further down the list comes a question
> about jobs that take a long time running MCMC using R in ESS.  And
> somewhat further still before there's an R-help archive where someone
> asked a similar question to what started this thread.  Not a lot of
> use.
>
> Trouble is now I've clicked on some of those, they'll rate higher on
> Google's ranking so I'm perpetuating the problem.
>
> Did anyone think of a search string that wasn't useless?

"R statistician job" doesn't do too badly.  The top 4 hits are job ads
for statisticians requiring R.  Further down irrelevant uses of the
letter R start to show up.  "R programming job" finds a few different
jobs, but has a lower hit rate.

Your results will vary; Google tailors its results to what it knows
about you.

Duncan Murdoch