[R] Linking R with Microsoft SQL Server / Client

Bos, Roger roger.bos at us.rothschild.com
Mon Feb 12 16:58:14 CET 2007

Yes, you can use RODBC to connect to MS SQL.  You can query, issue
commands, and save to the db from R and it works very well (at least for
me).

For example, with a database named xf, create an ODBC data source and
then link open a connection in R:
library(RODBC)
xf <- odbcConnect("xf", username, password)
Then you can issue commands such as those below:

go <- sqlQuery(xf, "alter table roger_test alter column name varchar(3)
NOT NULL")
go <- sqlQuery(xf, "select * from roger_test")
sqlSave(xf, val, tablename="roger_test", append=TRUE, rownames=FALSE)

HTH,

Roger