[R] Boxplot: quartiles/outliers

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Mon Feb 12 17:50:21 CET 2007

For your outlier question, look at the 'range' argument to the boxplot
function.  It defaults to 1.5 meaning that any points more than 1.5*IQR
from the 1st and 3rd quartiles are considered outliers.  If you make
this smaller, you will potentially see more outliers, if you make it
larger then it will show fewer outliers.  The special case of 0 means
that you don't want any points to be shown as outliers and the wiskers
will go all the way to the min and max points.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center