[R] isoMDS vs. other non-metric non-R routines

Philip Leifeld philip.leifeld at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Feb 13 11:49:15 CET 2007

Dear useRs,

last week I asked you about a problem related to isoMDS. It turned
out that in my case isoMDS was trapped. Nonetheless, I still have
some problems with other data sets. Therefore I would like to know if
anyone here has experience with how well isoMDS performs in
comparison to other non-metric MDS routines, like Minissa.

I have the feeling that for large data sets with a high stress value
(e.g. around 0.20) in cases where the intrinsic dimensionality of the
data cannot be significantly reduced without considerably increasing
stress, isoMDS performs worse (and yields a stress value of 0.31 in
my example), while solutions tend to be similar for better fits and
lower intrinsic dimensionality. I tried this on another data set
where isoMDS yields a stress value of 0.19 and Minissa a stress value
of 0.14.

Now the latter would still be considered a fair solution by some
people while the former indicates a poor fit regardless of how strict
your judgment is. I generally prefer using R over mixing with
different programs, so it would be nice if results were of comparable
quality...

Cheers

Phil