[R] lag orders with ADF.test

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Tue Feb 13 15:50:32 CET 2007

>Hello!
> I do not understand what is meant by:
>
> "aic" and "bic" follow a top-down strategy based on the
>Akaike's and Schwarz's information criteria
>
>in the datails to the ADF.test function. What does a "top-down
>strategy" mean? Probably the respective criterion is minimized

Hello Martin,

are you referring to ADF.test() in package "uroot"? If so, it would be good to adress this question to the package maintainer first, which I have cc'ed.
Different approaches for determining an appropriate lag length for ADF tests are propagated in the literature. One of them is the usage of information criteria; a second one starting from a high lag number and cutting the lag length down by signifcance (top to bottom) or vice versa (bottom to top); or finally inspect the ACF/PACF's of the residuals in the ADF-test regression and choose the lowest possible lag length such that the residuals are uncorrelated.

Best,
Bernhard