[R] How is the line in av.plot calculated?

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Fri Feb 16 19:20:22 CET 2007

Tom La Bone wrote:
> I suspect that the line in the added variable plot (library car) is a SLR of
> the residuals, but I can't seem to find this written anywhere.  Can someone
> confirm this?  Thanks.

  See the Fox(1997) reference on the help page (pages 281-283).  Note
that both the x-axis and the y-axis are residuals.  For example, you
could do the av.plot for income in the Duncan data as follows:

library(car)

res1 <- residuals(lm(prestige ~ education+type, data=Duncan))
res2 <- residuals(lm(income ~ education+type, data=Duncan))

plot(res2, res1)
abline(lm(res1 ~ res2))