[R] Migrating .RData from Windows to Linux?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 17 01:08:12 CET 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Derek Eder wrote:

> I want to begin a migration of R workspaces from Windows to Ubuntu Linux.
>
> (1)  Can someone suggest the most appropriate path?
>      dump()  ?
>      save()  ?
>
> (2)  Are there any R platform migration related resources "out there"?
>      (I have not found any yet).

It helps to READ THE DOCUMENTATION!!!!

>From ?save:

 	All R platforms use the XDR representation of binary objects in
 	binary save-d files, and these are portable across all R
 	platforms. (ASCII saves used to be useful for moving data between
 	platforms but are now only of historical interest.)

>From ?dump

 	A dump file can be sourced into another R (or perhaps S) session,
 	but the function save is designed to be used for transporting R
 	data, and will work with R objects that dump does not handle.

Using R, I work in WindowsXP, Gentoo (64bit) and RedHat (32bit) Linuxes,
and - every so often - MAC OS X. And have worked under Solaris and Windows
98.

I routinely port the files produced by save() on one system to another
system.  I cannot remember ever having had a problem doing this.

Looks like the documentation was correct! ;-)