[R] Installing Package rgl - Compilation Fails - Summary

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 19:59:29 CET 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
>
> I don't know if this will list all the dependencies for your
> documentation, since Rick's error messages did not involve libraries and
> header files already installed by him for something else, perhaps.

It will not, and most of this is already in the README.  The problem is
the penchant for linux distros to break standard pieces of software into
ever smaller pieces, so naming the pieces is often no great help 6 months
later.

On  FC5/6 I think

yum install mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel libXext-devel libpng-devel

should do it.  (Note that mesa-libGL-devel appears to have been already
there, and libXext-devel pulls in the rest of the X11 stuff.)

A quick check shows -lXext is actually not needed, so it could be removed
from configure.ac and the requirements: that would make a lot more sense.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk