[R] TRUE/FALSE as numeric values

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:45:33 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:38:56 +0100 Thomas Preuth <preuth at slf.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to select in a column of a dataframe all numbers smaller than a
> value x
> but when I type in test<-(RSF_EU$AREA<=x) I receiv as answer:
>  > test
>  [1]  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> [18]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> [35] FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE
> TRUE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE FALSE
> [52]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE
>
> How can i get the values smaller than x and not the TRUE/FALSE reply?

if the dataframe is called RSF_EU, and you want the entire dataframe for those rows, then

RSF_EU [ (RSF_EU$AREA <= x ), ]

if you want to get only that column vector and nothing else

RSF_EU$AREA [ ( RSF_EU$AREA <= x ) ]

Such concepts are very well-explained in "An Introduction to R" which you would benefit by reading at the earliest.

Ranjan