[R] gsub: replacing a.*a if no occurence of b in .*

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat Feb 24 18:22:28 CET 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> The _question_ assumed that, which is why the answers did too.

Oh yes, I totally agree, the file snippet the OP provided did indeed
assume that, though nothing in the text of his question did, so I
wasn't entirely clear whether the actual file that is going to be
processed has this form or not. So I just wanted to make sure the OP
is aware of this limitation, in case the actual file is more
problematic.

But most importantly, I wanted to suggest a reevaluation, if
possible, of the process that generates these XML's, and perhaps
fixing that, instead of patching the problem after it has been created.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College