[R] Double-banger function names: preferences and suggestions

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 16:53:20 CET 2007

There is a fourth possibility too:

4. `scale colour`

I guess my preference is #1, #2, #3 and #4 in that order with #1 best.  Even
though #1 can conflict with S3 it usually does not and its historically what R
used so I usually just stay consistent with historical precedent.  #2 is
otherwise best and has the advantage of no conflict with S3.  #3 is too hard
to read due to the lack of spacing and is probably motivated by misguided
Java programmers.   The introduction of such names into R was and continues
to be a mistake in my opinion.  #4 takes up too much screen real estate and
the backquotes look too busy.