[R] Macros in R

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Mon Feb 26 20:19:50 CET 2007

If I understand the question correctly, I would do this:

for (i in 1:54)   assign(  paste('input',i,sep='') ,  matrix(
dataset$variable, nrow=1)   )

You now have 54 matrices, named input1, input2, ... input54, each
having 1 row and as many columns as dataset$variable is long.
(also, they're identical, since all are created from the same object,
dataset$variable)

See,  of course, the help page for assign() to see why this works.

However, I do wonder, in the bigger picture of what you're trying to
do, whether there isn't a better way. For example, why matrices,
since they all have only one row?

-Don