[R] returns from dnorm and dmvnorm

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:26:59 CET 2007

I guarantee that it would also happen on all future versions of R.

Why would you expect density to be smaller than 1?  The only constraints on
density are that (a) it is non-negative and (b) it integrates to one. The
smaller the variance, the greater the density is around its center.  Density
can be made to become arbitrarily large by letting the variance gets close
to zero, and in the limit you will obtain Dirac's delta function.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu