[R] zero random effect sizes with binomial lmer

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 1 20:19:29 CET 2007

According to pp 197-198 of MASS 4, the Hauck-Donner phenomenon refers
to cases when the Wald approximations and the likelihood ratio tests
have different p values because of the former underestimating the the
change in log-likelihood on setting \beta_i = 0.

This seems quite different to me than the phenomenon that Daniel is
reporting, and that I believe I saw previously (post:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/12/6903.html
)

I tried an earlier version of R, on a different platform, and got
quite different results.  Sadly, the *earlier* results are the ones
that make sense.

eg:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.1 Patched (2006-12-30 r40330)
i386-unknown-freebsd6.1

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"   "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
       lme4      Matrix     lattice
"0.9975-10"  "0.9975-6"   "0.14-16"
> ranef(lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1|Subject), sleepstudy,
       family=Gamma(link="log")))
An object of class "ranef.lmer"
[[1]]
      (Intercept)
308  6.817268e-10
309 -1.369242e-09
310 -1.122033e-09
330  1.164825e-10
331  2.096848e-10
332  1.494418e-10
333  3.042078e-10
334 -6.276876e-11
335 -7.556428e-10
337  1.263863e-09
349 -3.984973e-10
350  2.107439e-10
351 -1.230185e-10
352  6.409427e-10
369  1.224258e-10
370 -1.528146e-10
371 -5.310404e-11
372  3.228682e-10

> sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"   "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils" "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
      lme4     Matrix    lattice
 "0.995-2" "0.995-20"   "0.13-8"
> ranef(lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1|Subject), sleepstudy,
+        family=Gamma(link="log")))
An object of class "ranef.lmer"
[[1]]
     (Intercept)