[R] zero random effect sizes with binomial lmer

Daniel Ezra Johnson johnson4 at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:59:55 CET 2007

> From: Andrew Robinson <A.Robinson_at_ms.unimelb.edu.au>
> Date: Mon 01 Jan 2007 - 19:19:29 GMT
>
> I tried an earlier version of R, on a different platform, and got quite
> different results. Sadly, the *earlier* results are the ones that make
> sense.

Andrew, I tried installing R 2.3.1, it seemed to work as you said, but I
realized it was because the default method was PQL instead of Laplace.
Switching the method to Laplace, the zero effect came back.

It seems like there's no easy way around this. I would like to compare
random effect sizes between different subsets of my data, but this may not
be possible using the current functions...

Daniel