[R] SQLite: When reading a table, a "\r" is padded onto the last column. Why?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 3 08:43:05 CET 2007

I guess you are using package RSQLite without telling us (or telling us
the version), and that your example is incomplete?

Using RSiteSearch("RSQLite Windows") quickly shows that this is a
previously reported problem with the package, e.g.:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/72515.html

I believe the issue is that RSQLite actually writes out a CRLF-terminated
text file and imports that into SQLite.  (I checked version 0.4-15.) It
seems function safe.write() needs to be modified to write to a binary-mode
connection since SQLite appears to require LF-terminated files.

Using RODBC to work with SQLite databases works correctly even under
Windows (and is much more efficient at writing to the database).

[I am not sure who is actually maintaining RSQLite, so am Cc: both the
stated maintainer and the person who prepared the package for
distribution. The posting guide asked you to contact the maintainer: what
response did _you_ get?]