[R] Time series plot

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Jan 4 12:49:55 CET 2007

Hi

On 4 Jan 2007 at 14:18, Arun Kumar Saha wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:18:11 +0530
From:           	"Arun Kumar Saha" <arun.kumar.saha at gmail.com>
To:             	"Gabor Grothendieck" <ggrothendieck at gmail.com>
Copies to:      	"r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch" <R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Subject:        	Re: [R] Time series plot

> Dear Gabor,
>
> Thank you very much for your letter. Actually I got partial solution
> from your suggestion. Still I am fighting with defining a secondary
> axis. More pecisely, suppose I have following two dataset:
>
> x = c(1:10)
> y = x*10
>
> To plot x I can simply write plot(x, type='l'), here the"y-axis" takes
> value from 1:10. Now I want to plot y on a Secondary "Y-axis" on same

I think you are lost a bit in plotting
let's
x be
x<-rnorm(10)
and
y<-x*10

then
gives you x values on y axis and x axis is 1:10. You can put another
values y on the same plot but only if you give them space before

plot(x, type="l", ylim=range(y))
points(y)
but it is probably not what you want.

If you want to plot time series to get time labels on x axis then
Gabor's solution would be perfectly valid.

Or you can convert your date (which is probably factor) to real time.

> tab=read.table("clipboard", header=T)
> tab
        date    price
1   1-Jan-02 4.880375
2   2-Jan-02 4.879843
3   3-Jan-02 4.884013
4   4-Jan-02 4.880375
5   5-Jan-02 4.874968
6   6-Jan-02 4.875426
7   7-Jan-02 4.874663
8   8-Jan-02 4.875350
9   9-Jan-02 4.888242
10 10-Jan-02 4.889522
11 11-Jan-02 4.887111

tab$newdate <- as.POSIXct(strptime(tab$date, format="%d-%b-%y"))

> str(tab)
'data.frame':   11 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ date   : Factor w/ 11 levels "1-Jan-02","10-Jan-02",..: 1 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 2 ...
 $ price  : num  4.88 4.88 4.88 4.88 4.87 ...
 $ newdate:'POSIXct', format: chr  "2002-01-01" "2002-01-02" "2002-01-
03" "2002-01-04" .

plot(tab$newdate, tab$price)

what is what you may want without explicit need for secondary y axis.

HTH
Petr