[R] R grahics: Save as hangs computer

karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Jan 4 23:33:54 CET 2007

Hello,

thanks for the advice.  I was aware that the version was out of date and
your message prompted me to finally upgrade to the latest version 2.4.1.
Unfortunately, running R under Emacs ESS, the problem I described earlier
persists.

I have also tried the Save as option under the standard RGui interface and
this worked in both the old and the new versions of R, 2.3.0 and 2.4.1
respectively.  The problem seems to be associated with Emacs ESS.  However
I don't have a clue where to start in order to find a solution.

In general I quite like using Emacs ESS.  It provides syntax highlighting
and this makes scripts far easier to read than with the standard editor
that comes with RGui.

I would be grateful for any further hints from someone who has encountered
similar problems in running R 2.4.1 through Emacs ESS 5.3.3 under Windows
2000.

Regards

Karl

|         |           murdoch at stats.uwo|
|         |           .ca              |
|         |           04/01/2007 10:10 |
  |       To:       karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au                                                                                   |
  |       cc:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: [R] R grahics: Save as hangs computer                                                                    |

On 1/3/2007 5:30 PM, karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have encountered a problem trying to save graphs using the R-graphics
> menu:  File|Save as.  The menu suggests that files may be saved as either
> Metafile, Postscript, pdf, png, bmp, jpeg.
> When I specify any of those file formats a menu comes up requesting a
file
> name.  After providing a name R invariably hangs and has to be restarted.
>
> I am able to save files under the various formats using the command line
> without problems.  However, sometimes it would be convenient to use the
> menus.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had encountered a similar behaviour and
had
> found a remedy.
>
> I am running are under GNU-Emacs ESS 5.3.3.
>
>> sessionInfo()
> Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)

That version is out of date.  Could you please update to the current
version (2.4.1), and see if the problem persists?  If so, could you
please try it when running Rterm or Rgui on its own, rather than running
under Emacs?

Thanks.

Duncan Murdoch