[R] R grahics: Save as hangs computer

karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au
Fri Jan 5 04:48:30 CET 2007

Hello list

thanks for that advice Rich.  You are right a few control-G allowed me to
recover and it had saved an eps file.

The dev.copy2eps appears to take exactly what is visible in the graphics
window and convert it to an eps file. This does the job for the moment.

Opening the eps file in GSview I noticed that there is still a lot of white
space in the bounding box which creates empty space when I want to include
the image into a tex document.  Is there a way to crop the image to remove
the white space before including it in a document?

Cheers

Karl

|         |           rmh at temple.edu   |
|         |           05/01/2007 10:03 |
  |       To:       karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au, murdoch at stats.uwo.ca                                                             |
  |       cc:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch, ess-bugs at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                         |
  |       Subject:  Re: [R] R grahics: Save as hangs computer                                                                    |

The good news, you don't have to shut down R.  Several control-G in
the *R* buffer in emacs will recover control.  A second attempt in the
same GUI graphics device did get the postscript file saved.

A workaround for this problem is to use the command line, rather than
the GUI menu, to save the file.  This line
    dev.copy2eps()
works.

I discovered that it is necessary to set
   options(chmhelp=FALSE)
when running R from emacs as the chmhelp is also freezing R
and the help system.  I am using  R-2.4.1 on Windows.

Use
   ?dev.copy2eps
for details on the command line dev.* commands.

Follow-up should go to the ess-bugs mailing list.

Rich