[R] memory limits in R loading a dataset and using the packagetree

Sicotte, Hugues Ph.D. Sicotte.Hugues at mayo.edu
Fri Jan 5 22:48:28 CET 2007

I agree about sampling, but.. You can go a little further with your
hardware.
The defaults in R is to play nice and limit your allocation to half
the available RAM. Make sure you have a lot of disk swap space (at least
1G with 2G of RAM) and you can set your memory limit to 2G for R.

See help(memory.size)  and use the memory.limit function

Hugues

P.s. Someone let me use their 16Gig of RAM linux
And I was able to run R-64 bits with "top" showing 6Gigs of RAM
allocated (with suitable --max-mem-size command line parameters at
startup for R).