[R] listing all functions in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 6 16:43:02 CET 2007

On 1/6/2007 9:25 AM, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 13:48 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> Could you tell us what you mean by
>
> Thank you for your reply, Prof. Ripley.
>
>> - 'function'  (if() and + are functions in R, so do you want those?)
>
> I was thinking about functions that are used like this: foo()
> So I don't need things like "names<-". I don't need functions like +. -,
> $, as I can highlight the separately if desired, though I'm not doing
> this at the moment.
>
> Functions like for() while(), if() function() are handled separately.
>
>> - 'a base R installation'?   What is 'base R' (standard + recommended
>> packages?)  And on what platform: the list is platform-specific?
>
> Yes, I mean standard + recommended packages. As for platform, most of my
> intended audience will be MS Windows users, though I am using Linux
> (Fedora) to generate this list (i.e. my R installation is on Linux).

Be careful:  the installed list of functions differs slightly from
platform to platform.  For example, on Windows there's a function
choose.dir in the utils package, but I don't think this exists on Unix.

The list also varies from version to version, so if you could manage to
run some code in the user's installed R to generate the list on the fly,
you'd get the most accurate list.

Duncan Murdoch