[R] Simple spectral analysis

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Jan 9 08:46:49 CET 2007

Hi

without beeing specific in spectrum analysis you will get frequencies
and spectral densities fro spectrum()

>From help page

An object of class "spec", which is a list containing at least the
following components:

freq vector of frequencies at which the spectral density is
estimated. (Possibly approximate Fourier frequencies.) The units are
the reciprocal of cycles per unit time (and not per observation
spacing): see Details below.
spec Vector (for univariate series) or matrix (for multivariate
series) of estimates of the spectral density at frequencies
corresponding to freq.

<snip>

This is the important part:

**The result is returned invisibly if plot is true.**

So if you call

spectrum(data) you will get plot but in case

sp <- spectrum(data)

you will get also object sp which has above mentioned components.
Actual periods are obtainable by

n/sp$freq

HTH
Petr