[R] scripts with littler

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jan 9 20:52:41 CET 2007

John Lawrence Aspden wrote:

>> I'm actually tempted to use
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env r
>> rm(list=ls())
>
> Ahem, it turns out to be better to use:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env r
> rm(list=ls()[ls()!="argv"])

Eww!! I'm not sure you want to do that. I would recommend sticking with:

#!/usr/bin/r -v

as that gives you a "truer" scripting environment. I understand that
won't load the libraries in your home area automatically, but consider
the way scripts in other languages are written and distributed: they
usually load the libraries at the beginning of the script. Silently

If you have libraries installed outside of the library search path,
consider expanding it with .libPaths() before calling library() or
require().

Cheers,

Jeff
--