[R] Making TIFF images with rtiff

Inman, Brant A. M.D. Inman.Brant at mayo.edu
Fri Jan 12 04:33:18 CET 2007

Many medical journals and publishers require that images, whether
photographs or line art, be submitted as high resolution .TIFF images.
One option for R users is to produce an image in one format and to
convert it to a .TIFF file using a second software program.  My
experience has been that this option often results in images of poorer
quality, often with blurry contours, and a loss of resolution.  A second
and better option would be to make .TIFF files directly from the graphic
output of R.

I recently noticed that there is a library called "rtiff" that may be
able to do this.  However, I have not been able to get it to work,
principally because I do not know how to install the required supporting
software, libtiff and tiffio.h, correctly on my computer. I am running R
2.4.0 on a Windows XP machine.  So far I have done the following:

1) Loaded the rtiff library

2) Downloaded and installed the TIFF library 3.8.2 (complete package and
sources) from the following website:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tiff.htm

I would like to ask the R experts for help with the following things:

1) Where do I get the tiffio.h file?

2) Where do I install or relocate the tiffio.h and TIFF library to so
that rtiff will work?

Thanks for your help.

Brant Inman
Mayo Clinic