[R] ARIMA xreg and factors

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 08:50:56 CET 2007

>From the help page

     xreg: Optionally, a vector or matrix of external regressors, which
           must have the same number of rows as 'x'.

Note, not a factor.  (It handles your factor like the integer vector it is
internally.) If you want a design matrix you need to make one, something
like

include.mean = FALSE, xreg = model.matrix(~z)