[R] parallel coordinates plot

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Jan 17 10:11:33 CET 2007

Marco Helbich wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I want to make a parallel coordinates plot with the specific variables on
> the abscissa and the cases on the ordinate should be dyed dependent on
> another nominal variable from the data frame. I use the parcoord function.

Hi Marco,
If I understand your question, you want to color the points displayed
for each variable dependent upon some nominal value (probably a factor).
Say you have a data frame like this, you could plot:

my.df<-data.frame(var.names=paste("V",1:10,sep=""),
  var.values=rnorm(10)+5,var.colors=sample(2:4,10,TRUE))
plot(my.df$var.values,col=my.df$var.colors,axes=FALSE)
box()
axis(1,at=1:10,labels=as.character(my.df$var.names))
axis(2)

Jim