[R] label option in 'barplot'?

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Thu Jan 18 11:06:05 CET 2007

Justin Gengler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When using the 'barplot' function, how would one go about creating
> labels on the top of the bars corresponding to the actual frequency
> values (i.e., the height of the bar).  For histograms, one can use
> the 'LABEL=T' parameter to this effect, but it is not available for
> barplot.  Must one manually create such labels for a barplot (perhaps
> using mtext)?

  Yes, I believe you would need to add those labels yourself.  Use
text() rather than mtext() to get something similar to what hist() does
when labels=TRUE.  Here is how you could put the labels either just
below or just above the top of the bar:

# Below
X <- barplot(VADeaths, beside=TRUE, ylim=c(0,80))
text(X, VADeaths, labels=VADeaths, pos=1, offset=.5, col="red")

# Above
X <- barplot(VADeaths, beside=TRUE, ylim=c(0,80))
text(X, VADeaths, labels=VADeaths, pos=3, offset=.5)